Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Quantatative Content Analysis

So today we looked at the wonderful world of Quantitative Content analysis. We looked in particular at gathering a comparison of content from the technology supplements in Sydney papers, such as The Australian and SMH, from periods 10+ years apart (well done on not throwing them out Chris!) We were aiming at gathering information to observe a shift in the contrasts of topic areas and also the tone in the articles.

I was lucky enough to get a supplement from a 1995 SMH. Using strict coding framework we observed the content of the articles, the themes they fell under, the time orientation of the article and its tone. My observation was probably not as thorough as would've been desired I have to admit. I came back with a majority of short news items to do with business and Internet from the present that had a mostly positive tone. The only problem I realised through the activity, apart from its tediousness, was that without a strong and defined coding scheme at times the accuracy of the data collected may be a little problematic. If I was to undertake this exercise for my own research, I'm sure it wouldn't seem as tedious and my own coding might allow me a better understanding of what goes where.

No comments:

Post a Comment